Google Code Next
ClientGoogle Code Next
ContractJuly 2017-July 2019
My RolesCoach, Curriculum Designer, Community Manager
Code Next is a free computer science education program that cultivates the next generation of Black and Latinx tech leaders. I joined Code Next just a year after its launch and initially took on the responsibility of working as a Leadership Coach to the HS participants. Shortly into that role, I began developing leadership curriculum focused on human-centered design, ideation, lean startup and agile design techniques.
My main responsibility ultimately became creating, building and maintaining the Code Next NYC community. I strengthened the Code Next community by increasing student participation and partnerships which supported the buildout of an innovation lab. I managed a team of 4 coaches and a site coordinator as we designed programming, community-based workshops, and events while strengthening the Google brands’ commitment to diversity.
Areas of Impact
- Redesigned the leadership curriculum for 9th and 10th grade cohorts
- Increased our community partners by 40%
- Increased our bank of Google volunteers by over 50%
- Brought on 6 new club coaches and with them co-designed 3 new club experiences
- Brought in our first female engineers as club coaches
- Point person for the inaugural hackathon in NYC and supported branding on both coasts.
- Created partnership with another youth based organization and helped them create targeted curriculum for our College readiness Program